Spring Term 2018
SYCAMORE AND SPRUCE CLASS
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for tools and worksheets to help with learning at home.
Welcome back to Year 5!
We hope you had a good holiday and enjoyed the half term break. Please read the following letter carefully as it will give you all the information you need for this term.
Click here for 2017-18 Curriculum information for Year 5 Classes.
Reading: This half term we will be learning about Benin, reading a range of African Myths and Legends in class. Please read with your child every day ensuring that you talk about the books and explore their content. Here are some questions that you could ask your child:
- Which part was your favourite?
- Were there parts that you didn’t like?
- What did you think of the characters? Can you describe them?
- What happened at the beginning, middle and end of the story?
- Did you learn anything? (Particularly in non-fiction books )
- What does the different punctuation mean? How does help us read the story?
Please try to change book at least twice a week!
Spellings: Spellings will be set weekly on Fridays. Your child be tested the spelling on the following Friday on the sounds / spelling rule that they have been learning as well as common words that they should know. Please practise these spellings at home.
Maths: We are starting a times table challenge competition in January to ensure that all children know their times tables to 12x12 (and related division facts) by heart. This is the expectation by the end of Year 4, so it is crucial that your child is practising these every day as this is the only way for them to be learnt!
Additionally, homework projects have already been given out at the end of last half term. This pack contains a range of tasks for you to choose from and any additional support materials. Your child must complete three activities. They link to the topic that your child will be studying this half term.
PE: PE will be on Wednesdays, taken by a sports coach. Children need to have a full school PE kit, which includes shorts, white t-shirt and plimsolls. ALL kits need to be fully labelled with your child’s name and year group.
Spanish: Year 5 has Spanish with Senor Enrique on Tuesdays each week.
Assemblies: This term Spruce’s class assembly on the right to play will be on Friday 12th January and Sycamore’s will be in the summer term. We would love to see you there!
Please make sure your child attends school regularly and on time every day. Year 5 pupils are to line up in the playground at 8:45 every morning. Dojos are given for children who are on time!
At the end of the school day please collect your child at 3.15pm from the Key Stage 2 playground. Please make every effort to collect your child on time. Any child not collected by 3.25pm will be taken to the office and should be collected from there.
• Class Trips – We will no longer be accepting cash or cheques for trips and payment will only be possible using our SIMS Agora online payment system. Your child has a unique payment number which you may have already used to set up online payments for school lunches and after school care. If you have not set up your account, please notify the school office and you will be provided with your child's unique number. If trips do not require payment, you will still need to go online to give permission for your child to attend.
• Uniform – Please adhere to the High View Uniform code. Monogramed items (jumpers, cardigans and book bags) can be obtained online from www.mapac.com or telephone 01923 255 525. Other standard uniform items can be sourced locally.
• School dinners – If a child wishes to change from school dinners to packed lunch or vice versa, they may only do so at the beginning of each half term. Payment should be made online using SIMS Agora. Details can be obtained from the school office.
If any child has been advised by their GP or Health Care Professional to either, follow a special diet; or to avoid certain foods, please contact Edwards and Ward Special Diet and Allergen help line on the details below:
Edwards & Ward Ltd.
141 Milton Rd (behind Old Waterworks)
Weston Super Mare
Office Number: 01934 615616 firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any concerns about your child, that you would like to discuss, please feel free to set a date and time to discuss this with us.
With kind regards
Mrs Magill and Miss Jenkins
Click on the buttons below to find tools and worksheets which will help you and your child with learning at home: